Our Commitment to Health & Safety
As always, our practice takes every precaution to keep patients and staff safe and healthy. While we have always adhered to and exceeded the standards for decontamination set by OSHA, we are going one step further and incorporating the latest CDC guidelines.
The Measures We Are Taking To Protect Our Patients
We ask you to keep the following in mind prior to and during your appointment:
- Each patient will have a temperature taken before coming into the clinic as well as a brief questionnaire asking about travel history and recent medical history.
- Any patient with a fever or any symptoms of COVID-19 will be asked to reschedule their appointment.
How We Are Protecting the Safety of Our Staff & Doctors
We are taking additional steps toward ensuring the safety of our staff.
- In addition to our standard of excellent infection control, our team will wipe down every surface and counter hourly to ensure a clean workspace. Every chair and clinical surface will be wiped down with the highest level of disinfectant available. The spray we use kills the virus within 1 minute of contact and is disinfected within 5 minutes. This will be done in between each patient.
- Our entire team will be wearing masks and face shields at all times in the office. All treatment staff will be provided surgical masks with mask fitters to ensure a seal around the mask. They will also wear face shields to minimize contamination of the masks (N95 and KN95 masks when available).
- Every team member will have their temperature checked at the start of each day and when returning from lunch. Even once the shelter-at-home has been lifted, we will ask our team to remain sheltered at home until the threat of COVID-19 has been minimized. This is to reduce risk to both our community and our team. Any team member suspected of having COVID-19 or has a known exposure must be symptom-free for 10 days before returning to work.
- Our waiting room will be closed. All reading material and toys will be removed. If the parent would like to be involved with scheduling the appointment, they can video call the patient’s phone or office phones to ask questions and be informed about the patient’s treatment.
- All patients will be greeted in the parking lot once they arrive, and a masked team member will check them in, take their temperature, and a brief health history. Once our team is ready for their appointment, we will come and get them and bring only the patient back to the chair.
- All clinic chairs used will be either 6 feet apart or have barrier between them to maintain proper social distancing. All adult rooms and overflow spaces will be used to better serve our patients.
- Our schedule will be reduced to allow for proper spacing. New patients and recalls will be allowed back as family if they have sheltered together. This will be different in each location.
- Check out will be done at the clinic chair as much as possible so that at the end of the appointment the patient can return to their car and the next appointment will have already been scheduled. This will reduce interactions in the office to help maintain social distancing at all times.
- Most high-touch areas have been removed, such as the toothbrushing station, reading materials, and toys.
- We will have hand sanitizer available throughout the office as well hand washing stations where all toothbrushing stations were located.
- We will be using our 3D printer to produce our N-95 masks to keep from reducing supplies in hospitals.
- We plan to purchase US-made supplies when possible.
- If a handpiece or anything else that could produce aerosol is present, a high-speed evacuation unit will be used in combination to reduce aerosol as much as possible. The team working on a patient where aerosol is being produced will be wearing an N-95 mask, and the patient will be in a private room.
IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO PATIENTS: If you or someone in your household have a fever, cough, or flu-like symptoms, please stay at home and don’t come to the practice. Your doctor may request an online video consultation if you are displaying symptoms.
At Harwell & Cook Orthodontics we appreciate the ongoing support from our patients, referring providers, families, and friends. Thank you for your patience and cooperation while these measures are put into effect.
For questions or clarification about these measures, please contact our Amarillo office at (806) 353-3593.